Monday, June 28, 2010

French Lession: The Art of Casual

I've been SO MIA lateley having just started my job thus neglecting my blogging duties. Now that I'm back from Lions week in Cannes, France I'm newly inspired and have tons of material to share! While there is just too much to say about the trip itself, the French have reinforced a very important lession: The Art of Casual.

Those who know me well know that I love love love to dress up! I'm perpetually just a bit over dressed everwhere I go and see really nothing wrong with it. This is one of the many reasons I love living in New York City, you can never be too dressed up! Unfortunately not everyone shares this sentiment and this is most evident when I am in an airport.

While there's nothing more I love more in the world than travel, domestic airports drive me insane! You see throngs of people who quite literally look as though they've rolled out of bed. Sweat pants, neck pillows, gym clothes (most looking like they've never seen the inside of a gym at all!) What happened to the days when travel was a luxury and you got dressed for it? It wasn't until I landed in France that I realized this was a very American trend. The moms in the Paris airport looked perfectly chic. Pressed ankle pants, ballet flats, crisp oxford - pushing a stroller. Perfection! The whole week served to perpetuate this Parisianne steriotype. The French truely have mastered the art of casual without wearing stretch pants and Sketcher Shape-Ups. I think should all attempt to find this delicate balance in our daily lives. My biggest aging fear is becomming a mom that wears sweat pants to the grocery store and neglects my make-up and hair. I know I just feeeel so much more productive and healthier when I'm put together. I've gotten to the point that I can barely function without a fresh manicure and dry cleaned clothes. It's a habit and an important one - for myself at least.

Ok, ok - no more America bashing! I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny." - Coco Chanel


xx
L

No comments:

Post a Comment